Monday, May 31, 2010

mystery of the moss-covered mansion

I was very pleased with #18. The mystery took place in Florida near the Kennedy Space Center and involved NASA. I really felt like Nancy was real in this one. Most of her other stories involve, well, places I've never heard of. She lives in fictional River Heights (not sure of the state). I just enjoyed that this could of potentially happened! It even involves the FBI! I mean it mentions Cocoa Beach (where I've been before) and gives a lot of history about the area.
Here was the premise of the story:
Mr. Billington had been accused of trying to smuggle in several sacks of oranges containing bombs into NASA, where they were constructing a rocket that will send astronauts to the moon. Mr. Drew (and Nancy) are on the case to prove Mr. Billington innocent. This case also involves a very spooky estate that is jungle-esque in which a bunch of wild animals live. It is up to Nancy and her friends to figure out the connection between the spooky estate (moss-covered mansion) and the explosive oranges.
The ending was very unpredictable-- let's just say it involves a beamer (not like the car) and a steaming pool that would kill you if you fell in. I also enjoyed this book because it reminded me that Nancy does not do these cases alone. She relies heavily on her friends Bess Marvin and George Fayne (both girls) and Ned Nickerson (guy she exclusively dates who attends Emerson College and is the starting quaterback).

I would say this is my 2nd favorite, after #4, The Mystery at Lilac Inn.


In other news, Happy Memorial Day! I tried to go downtown to Panera, but there is a parade, so basically, entire downtown in closed off. my check engine light is still on, so anytime i drive, I am tense. Car fixer places are not open today, so i am hoping to take it somewhere tomorrow. I contemplated walking to starbucks, but realized that would take me like an hour to get there, so instead, i went to the panera on the southside of town (my secret escape).

The only thing I have to do today is read!!! How awesome is that?!
I am almost finished with #19---it involves a treasure map, more to come on that!

No comments: