Sunday, May 23, 2010

the clue of the tapping heels

stolen persian cats + man who escaped from psychiatric hospital = thrilling nancy drew mystery

i really enjoyed this because there was more involvement with Hannah Gruen (Nancy's housekeeper since the age of 3) and Carson (dad). They usually aren't as involved in the mysteries as they were in this book. Also, I think this book helped to paint a better picture of Nancy as a person. She recognized her flaws (she should've looked at some papers hidden in a secret room) but then was able to shake them off and not prevent them from solving the mystery.

Here is an excerpt:
[Nancy's dad talking] "A few years ago I took some instructions on deactivating bombs," he explained. "I thought it might come in handy some time, but I admit I never thought it would be right in my own garage."
Keene, c. (1970) The clue of the tapping heels. New York: Grosset & Dunlap.

Someone had planted a bomb on Nancy's car, luckily Carson Drew came to the rescue and they were able to laugh the situation off.


I was doing some research on Nancy Drew and found out her dog Togo appeared more frequently in the original drafts of the stories (when they were written in the 1930s)


My "to-do" list for the day:
bake cinnamon rolls
eat breakfast at tanya's
check out (more) nancy drew books
work out

I've already done 2 of these things.

I was asked to be on a committee this summer to help design the major course objectives for one of the classes I'm teaching next year. I think I'm going to do it. I realized how much I LOVE learning and I want to make sure the students and I both know exactly what they need to learn in order to be successful. Then, maybe, just maybe, I can help students to see the purpose!!!

2 comments:

breezylucia said...

you should start another blog where you only review Nancy Drew books so I don't have to skip over it when i read this.

bring me some cinnamon rolls?

aimee paule said...

Mich, I love that you are blogging about Nancy Drew. I have had a secret fantasy to read all of her books because my Momma was an avid Nancy reader. Until then, I will enjoy your posts. :)