Sunday, May 30, 2010

mystery of the brass-bound trunk

This Nancy Drew mystery involves a South African named Nelda, sign language, and a meteor (?!).
I was quite pleased with this story. This takes place on a ship, in which Nancy leaves from Holland to New York City, called the Winschoten. The entire mystery starts because Nancy sees a man using "finger language for the deaf people" (as it's called in the book). It just so happens that this man spells out "Nancy Drew" along with the words "Beware." So, of course, Nancy is out to find this guy and figure out why he even knows who she is.
It seems as though this book had a bit more 'violence' than the others or atleast Nancy and friends were attacked more frequently in this book.

The only outlandish part I found was when the meteor hit the ocean --
"A bright object was descending from the sky."
"Then, for several seconds, there was near panic on board..."
"Its [the meteor] tremendous splash caused a tidal wave."
Keene, C. (1976). Mystery of the brass-bound trunk. New York: Grosset & Dunlap.


So, in other news, I can taste summer. 4 more days of school (give the kids their finals). Yesterday, I sat outside (in my swimsuit) and read Nancy Drew. I even got a little sun, which reminds me that I have to by SUNBLOCK today. Oh, the "check engine" light is on in my car, which is no good, so i have to get that checked out tomorrow. It came on while I was driving back from KC (i was a little anxious the whole drive back, thought my car may explode. it didnt, though)
So, I'm starting to get really sad. I went home on Friday night, and I started thinking about the school year ending and I cried. I cried because I'm going to miss my kids, I'm going to miss Marti, and Kathleen, and Kevin, and I'm leaving my school to work at a new one. I really can't believe this year is coming to an end.On Tuesday of this coming week, I will be officially binding my research paper and sending it in! wooo-freaking-hoo!


To do today:
Lunch with Melissa @ 1pm

No comments: