Tuesday, June 22, 2010

the clue of the leaning chimney

this was a very interesting book. Nancy was solving 3 mysteries at the same time!

within the first three pages of the book, i was having flashbacks to the movie, "I Know What You Did Last Summer." If you have not seen this movie or the sequel, I highly recommend it
Anyway, Nancy and Bess are driving along on some dark, windy, mysterious road when they come across a man in the street. Let me just tell you, the man is wearing a hat and a trench coat! My reaction: keep going and lock your doors. Nancy's reaction: The man may need help, let me get out of my car and approach him. BAH. Sometimes I just don't understand Nancy. I realize she is courageous, but when does courage become stupidity?

This mystery involves 1)searching for Mr. Soong's missing friends, The Engs. (these are the "oriental" people. you can def. tell these books are outdated) 2) locating a China clay pit and 3)capturing the men who have stolen priceless Chinese vases. What does this all have to do with a leaning chimney? you'll have to read to find out.

I love that with each book I read, I learn more about Nancy and her character, both literally and figuratively.

Togo, the fox terrior, makes his appearance in this book as well.
We learn Bess Marvin has a cousin, Dick Milton, who teaches pottery lessons

More about Aunt Eloise, the attractive middle-aged school teacher from New York:
possessed a "charming grace" that markedf her as "a woman of unusual intelligence"
Eloise knew Nancy was a lot like her and secretly this "gave her a thrill"
Considered coming to live with the Drew's when Nancy's mom died, but the private school that she taught at needed her and she also felt Hannah Gruen proved herself to be "satisfactory" so Eloise stayed in NY. (p. 73)

Keene, C. (1967) The clue of the leaning chimney. New York: Grosset & Dunlap

Next up for Nancy: The Secret of the Wooden Lady (seriously?!)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

i'm loving the nancy blogs! what number are you starting? also, ps did i tell you i'm reading the chronicles of narnia?