Wednesday, February 2, 2011

a million miles in a thousand years

A couple of friends were talking about this book by Donald Miller 2 weekends ago, so I figured I'd check it out. The only other book I've read of his was Blue Like Jazz and that was several years ago.

The basic premise of the book: He starts to examine his life and the meaningfulness (is this a word) of it when there are directors who are interested in making a movie out of one of the previous books he's written. So, he talks a lot about the type of stories we are writing for ourselves

Here is what I thought of the book:
I would not say this book is life altering and I think he thoughts/ramblings went in a lot of different directions, like satisfaction, where trust is being put, dealing with conflict/pain. But after reading the book, here are the things that I am left thinking about:

1) How our thoughts,ambitions,etc. translate into our actions
2) Seeking fulfillment/meaning in anything besides God is not going to cut it.

So I leave you with this excerpt:

Do I still think there will be a day when all wrongs are made right, when our souls find the completion they are looking for? I do. But when all things are made right, it won't be because of some preacher or snake-oil salesmen or politician or writer making promises in his book. I think instead, this will be done by Jesus. And it will be at a wedding. And there will be a feast. p. 206

No comments: