Sunday, August 15, 2010

the witch tree symbol

#33---LOVED IT

SO, this mystery takes place in the AMISH COMMUNITY. Nancy and friends travel to Pennsylvania Dutch country to try to track down an antique thief. It all starts with Nancy finding a mysterious symbol in an old mansion. I really enjoyed this book, not only for the mystery aspect, but also because it was Nancy in a different setting and the book included information about Church and Home Amish (not sure how accurate the info, but I felt like i was being educated. And also included various German phrases and different customs of the Amish. I also liked how this book (unlike the last) was not over the top and could have potentially happened. OH, and some of the Amish people thought Nancy was a witch, which I thought was funny.

My favorite quote from George (who is REALLY funny. I like here because she is VERY logical and rational, she compliments Bess and Nancy well) summing up their mission:

"So now we start roaming the countryside, looking for a fake Amish man driving a black horse and carriage. Who wants the honor of pulling off his false beard?" p. 63


I don't want to give away the ending but let me just tease you with an excerpt from the book:

"Suddenly Nancy had an idea. Perhaps the boy was a deaf mute! She decided to test him." p. 160

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i don't think nancy would get away with such a stunt these days...haha